Tuesday 28 February 2017

Identities and Film

1) Complete the Twenty Statements Test yourself. This means answering the question ‘Who am I?’ 20 times with 20 different answers. What do they say about your identity? Write the 20 answers in full on your blog.


  1. I am a Sikh
  2. I am a daughter
  3. I am a Libra
  4. I am a baker
  5. I am a photographer
  6. I am a media student
  7. I am Netflix addict 
  8. I am going to visit India 
  9. I am navigator (A methodical organizer) You've got your plan and you've got things in order.
  10. I am eighteen
  11. I am a going to visit Australia 
  12. I am the youngest sibling
  13. I am a British Asian
  14. I am a hard worker
  15. I am a wannabe multimedia journalist
  16. I am a goal orientated 
  17. I am a friendly
  18. I am a caring 
  19. I am a team player 
  20. I am a keen scrapbooker

2) Classify your answers into the categories listed on the Factsheet: Social groups, ideological beliefs, interests etc.


  • Social Groups + Classifications 
  • Self Evaluations 
  • Ideological beliefs
  • Interests
  • Ambitions

3) Go back to your favourite film (as identified in the lesson). What does this choice of film say about your identity? Are there any identities within the film (e.g. certain characters) that particularly resonated with your values and beliefs?



There are many other films that I really like, but I chose 'Martian' directed by Ridley Scott. I feel that by choosing this film it identifies me as a person who doesn't give up or let obstacles get my way to reach a solution. I like to challenge the norm and find my own way of doing things even if they are challenging, just like Matt Damon character. It was challenging for food to be grown, given that it was said that it is impossible. However. he had to survive so despite the challenge he still found a way. 

4) Watch the trailers for the five films highlighted as examples of gay/lesbian representation in mainstream film. How are LGBT identities constructed in the trailers and how are audiences encouraged to respond to these representations?

The Kids are Alright 



LGBT identities are constructed to show that you should always explore your identity, in society we are told that we are genetically programmed to be attracted to the opposite sex and that this is the status quo however by centering the film around a lesbian couple the LGBT identity is shown as normal and not a part of a person's identity that should be thought any less of or different to heterosexual people; which is how they have previously been portrayed with 'gay' marriage being illegal in the UK until not too long ago. It was seen as so out of the ordinary that two men or two women wanted to get married that many people fought hard against it when in fact we are all the same. From the representation of the LGBT community in this film, the audience are encouraged to be open minded and essentially 'not to judge a book by its cover'. They are encouraged to see that groups of people shouldn't be separated just because of the range of aspects to their identities. 

Pride

The LGBT identity is constructed in this film to show that you should be proud of who you are and not let opinions in society stop you from doing what you want to do as the LGBT community didn't in the film. They wanted to help the miners so they did. The audience are encouraged to see this representation of LGBT people as a positive addition to society that should be openly welcomed. They are also encouraged to explore other areas of people's identities rather than just immediately judging them, as evident in the film when the lady says "I was hoping you could clear something up for me..." 

The Wedding Banquet



The LGBT identity is constructed in The Wedding Banquet to show audiences that it is something that such people feel they have to hide. This is evident, in the film as the two main characters are in a relationship together but the black-haired individual in the still above cannot disclose such to his parents so he marries a girl to stop their questions. Auidences are encouraged to see that those who identify as LGBT are no different to the rest of us and see that they should not have to hide their identity as it is who they really are, but they have no choice because of the reactions it gets and has got in the past. 

Philadelphia

The LGBT identity is built to show the inequalities that the LGBT community has faced in the past and to an extent may face now, evident with the storyline being based around somebody being fired as they were 'gay' but what was actually said was that he was fired because he had 'aids'. The film shows the individual taking a proactive stand to define his identity. The audience are encouraged to see the LGBT community as an equal part of society who deserve to be treated politely and with respect as we wish to be treated. 

Wilde

The LGBT identity is built to show how much the community is underrepresented and how much they are looked down upon. This strand of their identity was something that appeared to bring shame to the heterosexual lead in the film evident by the line "you will seise to see Wilde or i will cut you off without a penny".  The audience are encouraged to the representations that this film portrays as a negative standpoint of the LGBT community and encouraged to see how this must change. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

NDM - Weekly Story Index

#1:   Facebook and Twitter join coalition to improve social media newsgathering #2:  Twitter: 140 characters in search of a buyer #3:  T...